Department of Civil Engineering
This department offers a full-time undergraduate programme leading to the award of Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Hons) which is designed to prepare students to become Civil Engineers who are able to plan, design, construct and maintain civil engineering facilities such as buildings, bridges, foundation, highways, water supply systems, sewerage schemes and other form of infrastructure. The program is also designed to provide students with the educational base to progress to Professional Engineer status as well as to undertake Master of Civil Engineering and Doctor of Philosophy from UNITEN and other reputable institutions of higher learning.
The department strives to be the leading civil engineering department in the country and to provide leadership in the field of civil engineering by focusing on technological innovations built upon the advances in basic knowledge. We work in partnership with corporations, government departments and other organisations to ensure that our work has the breadth and expertise necessary to tackle problems with economic, scientific and engineering dimensions.
The Department of Civil Engineering is in an active phase of growth and development. The upcoming years will be an exciting one with strategic plans and potential future paths for continued excellence.
The department has 11 laboratories with specialized facilities for teaching, research and consultancy services comprising of:
- Civil Engineering Materials Laboratory
- Structural Engineering Laboratory
- Engineering Mechanics Laboratory
- Soil Mechanics Laboratory
- Geotechnical Engineering Laboratory
- Engineering Geology Laboratory
- Highway and Pavement Engineering Laboratory
- Transportation and Traffic Engineering Laboratory
- Hydrology and Hydraulic Engineering Laboratory
- Environmental Engineering Laboratory
- Engineering Surveying Laboratory
Besides the experimental laboratories, the department has its own computer laboratory, which has numerous civil engineering application software such as:
- Structural & Material Engineering
- Staad Pro
- Geotechnical & Geological Engineering
- Plaxis, PlaxFlow, Plaxis3D, ArcGIS 9, gINT, GALENA, Rockpack and RockWork
- Water & Wastewater Engineering
- XP-SWMM, STORMCAD, FLOWMASTER, PONDPACK, E-FOR, ERWIN, MIDUSS'98, MIKE SHE and Arc View
- Highway & Transportation Engineering
- MXRoad, EMME/2, aaSIDRA and Primavera
Department of Electrical & Electronics Engineering
The Department of Electrical & Electronics Engineering continually strives to attain reputable excellence in delivering professional education and achieving research recognition.
The department has a well-structured syllabus with a strong emphasis on balanced learning of both theory and hands-on application. The syllabus is constantly reviewed to incorporate advancements in the existing and latest emerging technologies. The state-of-the-art laboratories complement the high standards set by the competitive syllabus and nurture the inclination of the students towards research and design development.
The department headed by academicians who are experts in their own disciplines, aims at educating and training students with sound knowledge and awareness in the latest trends in the field of electronics and communication technology.
The department's excellence in research can be exhibited by the academicians' significant achievements in research outputs, accolades and recognition received, research grants awarded, successful patent applications, consultancy and research centres established.
The Department of Electrical & Electronics Engineering offers the following programmes:
- Bachelor of Electrical Power Engineering (Hons) BEPE
- Bachelor of Electrical and Electronics Engineering (Hons) (BEEE)
- Diploma of Electrical Engineering
- BEM Graduate Assessment Programme.
The department has access to undergraduate and postgraduate laboratories. Here are some highlighted labs:
- Communication System Lab
- Electronic Design Lab
- Electrical / Electronic Measurement Lab
- Microprocessor Applications Lab
- Printed Circuit Board (PCB) Fabrication Lab
- RF & Microwave Technology Lab
- Power Electronics Lab
- Robotics and Control Lab
- Research and Project Lab
- Signal Processing and Computer Lab
- Electrical Machine Laboratory
- Digital Logic Design Lab
- High Voltage Laboratory Lab
- Optoelectronics Lab
- Data Communication and Networking Lab
- Power System Protection Laboratory
Department of Mechanical Engineering
The Department of Mechanical Engineering provides an excellent learning environment with state-of-the-art facilities and highly qualified academic staff with extensive level of expertise over a broad range of subject areas.
Its research and teaching activities include applied mechanics and materials, thermal engineering, and manufacturing systems. The comprehensive and innovative content and teaching techniques adopted are designed towards expanding the frontiers of learning and inculcating a probing mind. Students will be challenged to develop into multi-skilled professionals possessing mental, intellectual and emotional fortitude to succeed in life.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering offers the following programmes, Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Hons), Master of Mechanical Engineering and Ph.D. in Engineering.
The programme are complemented by laboratory work. The department has several laboratories, which are:
- Mechanics of Materials Machine Shop
- Machine Design
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Automation and Robotics
- Computer Aided Design and Computer Aided Engineering
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Instrumentation and Measurement
- Thermo-fluid Applied Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer
- Internal Combustion Engine
Department of Engineering Foundation and General Studies
The Department of Engineering Foundation and General Studies (EFGS) at College of Engineering (COE), UNITEN offers a broad range of essential skills necessary for aspiring engineers, ensuring a holistic and well-rounded education. The objective of the department is to prepare a comprehensive and dynamic academic pathway designed to provide students at foundation, diploma and degree level with a solid foundation in mathematics and sciences to pursue into engineering bachelor degree programs offered in the college.
Since June 2003, Universiti Tenaga Nasional has been accepting applicants with Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) qualification or its equivalent into a one-year foundation program. Upon completion of the program, students can confidently pursue their chosen engineering disciplines with a firm understanding of the fundamental concepts and practical skills required for success. Our program is fully accredited by MQA, approved by MOE and recognized by other institutions in Malaysia and abroad.
At UNITEN, we employed innovative teaching methodologies and prioritize hands-on learning experiences to complement theoretical knowledge. Our foundation program encompasses a diverse range of subjects, including mathematics, physics, and chemistry, providing students with a solid understanding of the fundamental principles underlying various branches of engineering. Students engage in laboratory sessions, problem solving, workshop and Industrial Guest Lecture (IGL), allowing them to apply their understanding in the real-world scenario. In addition, the curriculum incorporates general studies and computing courses to foster critical thinking, communication skills, and ethical awareness, enhancing students’ ability to contribute positively to society.
Whether you aspire to be a mechanical engineer, electrical engineer, civil engineer or any other engineering professional, the Engineering Foundation and General Studies provides an excellent starting point for your academic journey. Join us to build a solid foundation for a rewarding career in engineering and make a positive impact on your future.
The subjects offered by EFGS department are:
- Chemistry 1
- Chemistry 2
- Physics 1
- Physics 2
- Physics 3
- Physics for Engineering
- Physics Laboratory
- Introductory Calculus and Analytic Geometry
- Calculus and Analytic Geometry 1
- Calculus and Analytic Geometry 2
- Mathematics 1
- Mathematics 2
- Mathematics 3
- Linear Algebra
- Differential Equation
- Advanced Calculus and Analytical Geometry